ZX-9R.Net - Ninja ZX9R Forum

Kawasaki ZX-9R - Most underrated sportbike
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:45 am 
Ninjaneer

Now taxed for the year, I did have a reminder but misplaced it. :lol:

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as a year may not be accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:57 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

My E1 has been irritating the crap out of me recently with laggy throttle response. I've already cleaned the K&N air filter. Spent some time last week resetting the carb float heights. Over the weekend I made up a new way of measuring the height of the fuel in the float bowls. Mad up a piece of wood roughly the widht of the frame at the airbox and about 4 inches wide with 4 small syringes attached. Drew two lines across the wood - one as a reference point to align with the carb marks and one 18.5mm below. I then found there were two threaded holes in the top of the gearbox / crank casing - I threaded two long rods onto those and then put a nut & washer on them. Via some plastic bit I screwed to the wood, I could drop the piece of wood very precisely down to the height where the reference line aligns with the marks on the carbs. I use a spirit level held against the side of the wood to sight when the mark is level with the carb mark. I think this is the most precise measurement of carb float levels I've ever been able to do. Result was bang on 18.5mm for each. ....

Trouble is, I was looking for a reason for throttle response feeling laggy. It feels rich, but I'm below recommended setting for the pilot screws (around 1 1/4 turns out) and I only have 0.3mm of additional riser washers under then needles... so I'm getting grumpy now. I might try a run with the TPS disconnected next.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:09 pm 
Admin

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
This should be it's own thread, but what was meant by a float height on an E1 (assuming CVRD carbs) of 18.5 mm?

Was that a typo or are you running different carbs on your E?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:24 am 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

E1 - not a typo. Am running standard carbs on my E1. If you read both the Haynes Manual and the Kawasaki workshop manual they list a measurement of 18.5mm for the level of the fuel in the measurement tubes vs. the index mark on the side of the carbs. This is NOT measuring the height of the floats ... it is measuring the height of the fuel in the bowls. To my mind, if done properly, then this should be more accurate than measuring the height of the floats with the bowls removed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Yep, the height of fuel is what's affecting the mixture; ideally that's what everybody would/should do.
Setting the float height is just something that's easier to do and what is expected,
but not always guaranteed, to result in the appropriate fuel level.

In fact, at least for some 1 and 2 pot engines with carbs (like MX and such), you can sometimes get
clear float bowls where you can read the level(s) directly. Not sure what carbs those were, tho.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:52 pm 
Admin

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
polyfiller wrote:
...Trouble is, I was looking for a reason for throttle response feeling laggy. It feels rich, but I'm below recommended setting for the pilot screws (around 1 1/4 turns out) and I only have 0.3mm of additional riser washers under then needles... so I'm getting grumpy now. I might try a run with the TPS disconnected next.
What were the resulting float heights from this fuel level method and are your spark plug coloring confirming the 'it feels rich' hypothesis?

Throwing out a guess based on the old float height method. I presume you have an aftermarket exhaust with stock #160/165 Keihin mains, cylinder PSI numbers are 180+ and you're within 1K feet of sea level. Depending on float heights, you might be better off raising the jn 0.5 - 1.5mm and turning the PFS out to a minimum of 1 1/2. Since you already have 0.3s in there it would be semi-easy to add one more 0.5 to make them all 0.8mm...with some filing of the jn's inner retainer circle (1mm) (see Yorkie's How-to). Assuming as well that your pilots are Keihin #38s and not #40s Between the two (PFS 1.5 & jn 0.8mm), that would raise the fuel delivery from 1K - 7K RPM, at a minimum. If doing so only results in more power, but no appreciable improvement to the delay in throttle response, you'll need to raise your fuel height (lower your float height) by 1 mm. If the opposite is true and power was reduced, then something's really off and it's probably related to the float heights being too too low.

Just me guessing. :smt102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

I presume you have an aftermarket exhaust with stock #160/165 Keihin mains, cylinder PSI numbers are 180+ and you're within 1K feet of sea level. >> YES

Depending on float heights, you might be better off raising the jn 0.5 - 1.5mm and turning the PFS out to a minimum of 1 1/2. Since you already have 0.3s in there it would be semi-easy to add one more 0.5 to make them all 0.8mm...with some filing of the jn's inner retainer circle (1mm) (see Yorkie's How-to). >>>Already played with in the past. Recently increased it to 0.5mm extra and it felt worse - more laggy.

Assuming as well that your pilots are Keihin #38s and not #40s >> Yes

Between the two (PFS 1.5 & jn 0.8mm), that would raise the fuel delivery from 1K - 7K RPM, at a minimum. If doing so only results in more power, but no appreciable improvement to the delay in throttle response, you'll need to raise your fuel height (lower your float height) by 1 mm. If the opposite is true and power was reduced, then something's really off and it's probably related to the float heights being too too low. >> Not checked plugs yet. Exhaust is certainly a little sooty.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 pm 
Admin

If you're wanting my take on it, wanna bet something?

Sounds like your carbs are overfueling your cylinders. Your spark plug coloring should confirm, wet, carbon fouled spark plugs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Today i sandblasted my spare set of 9r wheels.

He rides so fast, He rides so quick, He rides faster than a speeding bullet.
In and out of the cars he goes, over bridges down narrow roads.
In to a bend he leans his bike, over and over as the bend is so tight.
Out of the bend on the other side, He pulls away, his back wheel does slides.
The tyre then grips with such a punch, the front wheel lifts, the gears he crunch.
He gains control and speeds away, He smiles as he lives to ride another day.

Poem by Martin. 1986

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

So i got the spare set of wheels acid etched & 2k primed today.
Putting them away now till next spring to finish painting with new tyres .

The tyre then grips with such a punch, the front wheel lifts, the gears he crunch.

Poem by Martin. 1986

Last edited by Martin on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:24 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Today i took my new to me Givi E370 top box apart. Put all the parts though the dishwasher to clean them
I then masked up the insides of both the top & bottom case halfs. I keyed them up and then panel wiped them down.
I plastic primed and 2k primed both halfs. Tomorrow i need to rub them down and reprime them again to get a good smooth finish.

Poem by Martin. 1986

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Just got my front forks back from a full service, including painting the lowers, look lovely. Just finished fitting them. Going to put the damping & rebound adjustments to stock and then go from there (I previously had them wound on almost to maximum ... because the fork oil was very old).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Test ride after refitting the serviced forks and also a complete carb strip and clean. Reset float heights (again) to 5mm cleaned all jets in coke, reset idle screws to 1 5/8. Test ride was crap (started raining 2 minutes into it and it was dark. Forks much better .. but now I need to do suspension setup .. and was difficult to get real feel given it was dark and wet... need a dryer ride. With the carb work, throttle response much better on initial pickup from low down, but lacking a little urgency mid range. Much better than it was ... one indicator it is better is that previously blipping throttle response was slow and sometimes non existent, making downshifting a pain. Now blipping much cleaner, so I figure carbs are better. Also managed to forget to locate my rear seat properly and had it flip off = walk down road with phone light on in the dark and rain to find it. Also had 3 cars try and take me out. Shit ride in so many ways, but the bike felt better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:03 pm 
Admin

Sometimes our sense of patient regard is overwhelmed by the need for results while our work is still fresh.

You get kudos for tenacity. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

"Also managed to forget to locate my rear seat properly and had it flip off = walk down road with phone light on in the dark and rain to find it."

That happened to me, but I didn't notice until I stopped for gas after riding nearly 100 miles. Put a 'Lost' ad on Kijiji and wsa fortunate enough to be contacted by the couple who picked it up after it flew off when I passed them "going like a damn bat outta hell!".

Now it has my ph # in magic marker, and a piece of light ss cable with a clip fastener ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43