What did you do to your Ninja today?

All your bike talk here

Moderators: Steve-TC1, RAFlyer, yorkie

e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Re: What did you do to your Ninja today?

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am

Cycled the fluids on the bikes.

Oh man, how I miss riding!

Pondering starting on my engine replacement project. Don't want to piecemeal it though. Would rather start it when I have time to complete the work entirely.
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. You’re encouraged to challenge that claim. I pick the course. -- Mods: Carbureted, not Fuel Injected, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, Keihin rejetted, éan creiche malar stripes. (U.S.A./U.K.). Tank range in miles: 240 minimum.

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:43 am

Last night I pulled the front sprocket cover off and excavated most of the accumulated crud out of the general area and from inside the cover. Still got more to do - I need to buy more degreaser!
Rod

tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by tangosevern » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 pm

rod750 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:43 am
Last night I pulled the front sprocket cover off and excavated most of the accumulated crud out of the general area and from inside the cover. Still got more to do - I need to buy more degreaser!
I use my wall paper steamer,just remove the rectangle plate so you can use the pipe,put a capfull of carpet cleaner or similar in the steamer tank,works a treat on manky engine stuff
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 pm

tangosevern wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 pm
I use my wall paper steamer,just remove the rectangle plate so you can use the pipe,put a capfull of carpet cleaner or similar in the steamer tank,works a treat on manky engine stuff
Hmm, carpet cleaner hey? I've got a bottle of non-foaming detergent for hot water extraction carpet cleaners. No steam machine like you've described.

After my post last night I started on removing the carburettor. Just got the throttle cables left. I've left the coolant hoses on for now and I'd like to plug them and keep them on while I clean those carbies out with carb cleaner and then dipping. The petrol in the float bowls is over ten years old and has a rather interesting aroma. Noticed a decent buildup of crud on the intake valves so that's another thing needing doing.
Rod

e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Sounds like you've done this before. Fortunately, I've not had to dip or strip or remove any of the carburetor sets I have. I do all of my carb work with them hung on the port side frame. A blast with carb cleaner through all of the orifices, jets included, is about all I've had to do to get things flowing. Fuel has detergent in it, which basically keeps the internals clean and clear, simply by riding regularly.

The worst I've had on two bikes so far has been with plugs within the tiny pilot circuit plumbing, whether pilot jets or air/fuel passages.

Here I am blasting out the air jets, checking that an equal stream comes out of the other side. (CVRD-40 pictured)
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. You’re encouraged to challenge that claim. I pick the course. -- Mods: Carbureted, not Fuel Injected, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, Keihin rejetted, éan creiche malar stripes. (U.S.A./U.K.). Tank range in miles: 240 minimum.

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:56 am

e1_ZX-9r wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:19 pm
Sounds like you've done this before.
The extent of my carburettor capers has been lifting the slide out of the carb on my dirt bike and putting it back in about thirty years ago! I'll be removing the throttle cables so I can give them a good clean out - I got a fancy Motion Pro cable oiler (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0609) and it'll give me a bit more flexibility in cleaning the carbies themselves. I might dip them in Yamaha Carb Dip, I did get a can of WD40 carb cleaner today....

To give an indication of the cleaning job I have on my hands, the petrol in there is ten years old and the outer slides are stuck! I just want to remove the tops, diaphragm, slides and float bowls, clean it and put in a factory pro jet kit.
Rod

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:41 am

Ordered T3 & T10 bulbs, & a new AFR sensor for the 2020 riding season.

T3 bulbs for the instrument panel, to fix illumination http://www.zx-9r.net/viewtopic.php?t=70689
T10 bulb(s) for the parking light, replacing the LED ones that were junk http://www.zx-9r.net/viewtopic.php?t=63 ... 50#p736556
AFR sensor, $40 because AEM doesn't respond to their warranty calls nupid^PC http://www.zx-9r.net/viewtopic.php?t=69898

For about $55 shipped, I don't have to mess with any of it. All should be direct replacements and put the bike back in good standing with all of its capabilities.

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Seeking pointers on engine swap best practices. http://www.zx-9r.net/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... 88#p756099

:Hlp

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Ordered the special Kawasaki flywheel puller. Should be here before week's end. Says its 38M x 1.5 R.H.

tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by tangosevern » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Keep in mind,you can buy 'spray freeze' in a can.....it's used for freezing the water in cental heating pipes when doing repairs on the copper tubes,save draining down the central heating system or for emgency repairs....Just an alternative to flame heat to get things nice and lose if you get a stuborn feck that won't pull off with ease.
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 am

Cleaning carburettors bit by bit over the past few days. Gone through a can of WD40 darb cleaner. Got the stuck slides and chokes "unstuck" and moving nicely. Lots of gummy crud on the needles - no wonder they wouldn't budge. Bike has a Muzzy end can and some sort of foam air filter (is foam standard on a C2?) and I've pretty much done all of the cleaning of carb #1 (or #4 depending on which way they're sat) and I've found a 162 main, 38 pilot and the bleed three turns out, with standard needle. I rode the bike home when I got it ten years ago and, from memory, it ran well but in reading forum posts I should have something like 158 mains and 2.5 turns. I've cleaned out the main jet, emulsion tube, needle and put in a new pilot jet (from the All Balls overhaul kit I got). I'll do the remaining three carbs this week. The KLEEN blockoff plate arrived today.

I'll order the HEL lines tonight (race style fronts), along with a radial master cylinder adaptor. I'm going to stick a ZX10 radial master cylinder onto it. I had a supposed R1 throttle tube in the cupboard which I bought for my 999 as a ghetto quick action throttle. It turned out to be the same diameter as the standard Ducati but it's quite a bit larger than the standard one in the ZX9R throttle! There's a couple of little ridges in the ZX9R housing which catch the cable nipple holder so I'll give those a bit of a trim. To prevent any cable-slide-off action I've put a 2mm groove around the cam on this new tube.
Rod

polyfiller
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by polyfiller » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm

On the subject of radial master cylinders ... I got a Brembo RCS for XMas and fitted that last weekend (or the weekend before ... I can't remember) ... but the Brembo .... wow .... combined with NIssin 4 pots amd braided lines I fitted 2 years go ....... I now have brakes I can trust. So much better than the stock MC.
Red 2001 E1.

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 pm

rod750 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 am
...Bike has a Muzzy end can and some sort of foam air filter (is foam standard on a C2?)...and I've found a 162 main, 38 pilot...
For general OEM settings, see ZX-9R 0 - 60 MPH, 1/4 mile, & performance specs

The OEM filter is a cleanable element that I'd refer to as a shag carpet texture on the air inlet side. I think it takes a light oiling too.

The pure foam ones are, I think, Uni filters. BMC makes a small surface area element and K&N have a similar element, but with a full surface area.

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

polyfiller wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm
On the subject of radial master cylinders ... I got a Brembo RCS for XMas and fitted that last weekend (or the weekend before ... I can't remember) ... but the Brembo .... wow .... combined with NIssin 4 pots amd braided lines I fitted 2 years go ....... I now have brakes I can trust. So much better than the stock MC.
Nice!

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm

e1_ZX-9r wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 pm
rod750 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 am
...Bike has a Muzzy end can and some sort of foam air filter (is foam standard on a C2?)...and I've found a 162 main, 38 pilot...
For general OEM settings, see ZX-9R 0 - 60 MPH, 1/4 mile, & performance specs

The OEM filter is a cleanable element that I'd refer to as a shag carpet texture on the air inlet side. I think it takes a light oiling too.

The pure foam ones are, I think, Uni filters. BMC makes a small surface area element and K&N have a similar element, but with a full surface area.
Thanks, from memory it's the standard one. I remember that white grid thing. Into carb 2 tonight and found a 158 main jet. The needles in there actually have what looks like 1mm washers to shim them. KLEEN plates are on. I need to find some rubber nubs to go over those two connectors down underneath the carbs - the thin hose which comes off the valve goes down there.
Rod