What did you do to your Ninja today?

General motorcycle talk forum - rides, things, places, happenings, etc,...

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1.5*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Re: What did you do to your Ninja today?

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Did the DIY labor on the new Supertrapp exhaust, the pre-welding part.

The good news is that I just have to ride it several miles to a shop where they can bend and TIG weld the mounting plates. The bad news is, I can tell already that the problem with this bike is not related to exhaust, although I'm seeing promising rich AFRs, unlike before, at 1 - 4K RPMs.

The problem, from what I can tell is the engine responds to subtle throttle movements like there's an air leak in the system, like there's another throttle being twisted that's not the one I'm twisting. Trying to go from 2200 RPMs to 2300, causes it to jump to 3K. Must either be something in the carburetors or perhaps cams? Dunno. :smt102
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.
Grinsaki
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by Grinsaki »

I would check for damaged or slightly bent linkages between the carb body,s. Then rev it up to 2k and spray some brake cleaner on the pivot points to see if she eats it.....
Happily driving and refurbishing a ZX-9R B1 8)

Past bikes:
Quite a few...mostly the ones that will hurt you due to self overrated driving abilities and lean angles... :D
e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1.5*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

:shock: If it is a leak between the links, I don't relish the idea of splitting the bank apart to replace whatever seal has gone off. Let's hope that's not it. But yeah, I've been struggling with this mutilated set of carbs from the beginning. And you're giving me the motivation to just replace them with my spares and move all the components over to the spare to make one good set.
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.
bobbydj
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by bobbydj »

snapped my N/S indicator off when i hit a pheasant

the gaffer at the big farm nearby released thousands of them the other week, and since then there've been lots of shooting parties (it's really lucrative apparently) - which is, well, whatever...but the roads are lousy with them, they group in twenties and thirties and associate vehicles with being fed (because they're as good as hand-reared anyway), so instead of fucking off, they actually come towards you
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day - set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Swapped the Zero-Gravity screens in musical chairs on the bikes, putting the two touring screens on the two Es and the dbl-bbl on the F for the time being. Going to take what was the Muzzy E1, which now also has a Supertrapp, over the weld shop in the morning, weather permitting. Took snapshots of the two previous bracket welds to show as examples to the weld shop owner.

Also going to update my inventory of parts needed for the sF1's rebuild and begin ordering what it needs. A Winter project.

Will do more cold start AFR enrichener videos from the other two bikes to share. It might turn out useful from some.
obsidian
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by obsidian »

e1_ZX-9r wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 05:11
Will do more cold start AFR enrichener videos from the other two bikes to share. It might turn out useful from some.
No need to justify it, ..we understand.
Exhaust fumes sniffler, you..
2002 9R / 1992 ZXR750
e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

:-k Last night, it was either do a cold start video or have a cold beer. I thought I'd do both, but chose only one. It didn't matter which I chose, I was looking for a dopamine fix.
:drinkers:
Fix satisfied.

It's something though that I recognize. I have an addiction to hops and throttle..
obsidian
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by obsidian »

Shortened the shifting rod to get both levers closer to a 90° to it.
While at it, added some speed-enhancing-tuning-grooves(tm) in the knurled area:
20210914_220906 (Medium).jpg

As the play in the lever itself was all over the place, ...

out with the old
20211016_181949 (Medium).jpg

and in with the new bushing

20211016_233057 (Medium).jpg
2002 9R / 1992 ZXR750