ZX-9R.Net - Ninja ZX9R Forum

Kawasaki ZX-9R - Most underrated sportbike
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 am 
Just arrived

Hello, need to get a new battery for my bike, the last owner had a YTX-9 BS in there and I am not sure that that was the right battery, also that battery is now dead so I am in the market for a new one and havent had much luck searching for battery info for my bike.

Does anyone know what the battery part number is for my 1999 zx9r c1.

Do I need a YTX-9BS or a YTX-12BS or what?

OR

Would it be better to go with one of the newer lithium batteries I've seen. I was looking at this one: Mirai Ultra Lightweight Lithium Motorcycle Battery 10Ah PbEqv 175CCA MLP-1012-C1

https://www.amazon.ca/Mirai-Lightweight ... le+battery

Anybody have any thoughts to share these new generation lithium batteries for motorcycles? Anyone have any experience with them, are they any good? They seem good haha. Big weight savings, high CCA/size. Basically way higher energy density than traditional 12v Lead-Acid / AGM batteries.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 am 
Ninjaneer

I'm sure I had a big MG12-BS 12V12Ah in mine, it's a tight fit but goes in if you file a bit off the bottom of the seat rubber support. I wanted the extra grunt that it could provide.

But if you're after weight saving then go for the Lithium, I have no experience of these personally, but make sure you get a maintenance charger that can look after that type of battery as I hear they are very sensitive to the way they're maintained.

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as a year may not be accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:12 pm 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

Be interested in what you end up getting as I'll be in the market for one in a month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:51 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

My mate put a lithium battery in his Buell - he did not like it and doesn't have it in there any more. I appreciate you want details - but I don't remember. He's an engineer by trade and does all his maintenance himself - of which there is a fair amount, it being a Buell w/ 50k miles on it. For instance, only last week the rear wheel bearing collapsed. Not too big a thing, right? Well - it damaged the hub. Plus, he couldn't obtain a replacement bearing because shortly after his model, they changed from a two to a three baring hub. So he had to get a new wheel as well as the three bearings. Plus there's the question of what caused the bearing to fail - this is the fourth he's fitted. Answer - perhaps it's to do with the force the belt drive is placing on the hub. And in turn, a failure of tensioning pulley etc. etc. The point of all this is simply that if anyone could've made a lithium battery work it would've been him. He's meticulous and has a boffin scientist head plus can twirl spanners when the mood takes him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:02 pm 
Mechanic
Mechanic

Had an SSB lithium battery in my 996 for several years. Not cheap, but handled the cold starts very well (Aussie cold starts). Finally dropped a cell and had to be replaced. These ones can take a standard trickle charger, are very light and seem to be a good battery. Replaced with a glass mat battery due to finances and urgency. Some lithiums don't like cold mornings, so you turn on ignition and lights for a few minutes to "warm" up the battery. If they can fire up a big v twin and deal with Italian electrics, they'll be a doddle in a jap 4.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:27 am 
Just arrived

Thanks everyone for your input:) I will let you know what I end up going with and how it works out for me. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm 
Top Cat

Pretty sure E1 has a lithium in his E or F model

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:21 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Lith in my B2 for a couple of years now ,no problems but I switch in the lead-acid in winter or when I'm working on the bike needing to do frequent static starting.

You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 am 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

Steve-TC1 wrote:
Pretty sure E1 has a lithium in his E or F model

Yes, I'm sure he has/had. On the E1, I'm almost certain. I'm also pretty sure that he thought it was the source of problems at some point - not sure if that was confirmed or not.

LiIon batteries are finnicky to charge. If you do it wrong, they don't work right. They need to be monitored for voltage, current and temperature. If any of the three factors is outside the correct range, the charging should stop. On the ZX-9R, the only real limitation is the charging voltage - the charging current and battery temperature is not monitored by electrical system. So at the very least, make sure that the battery is fitted with "charging protection".

LiIon batteries are fantastic when they are working correctly. But I'm not convinced they are great replacements for lead-acid batteries without electric system upgrades.

The battery fitted in a ZX-9R C1 as stock is a YTX9-BS, 12V 8Ah. Same for the E and F model for that matter.

--
Mats

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:53 am 
Just arrived

Lithium batteries can get a bit burny if they get overcharged. Ducati riders are keen on upgrades and some have felt the wrath of a lithium battery scorned by an overactive charging system - jump onto any Ducati forum and you'll find literal dumpster fires of threads with pro LI and anti LI posters going at it. Lithium batteries run at a very slightly lower volts than the lead acid but they can handle the difference normally, although it's not ideal and some companies make regulators which output the lower voltage for LI batteries.

Early lithium batteries for bikes were often just a bunch of cells wired up into a case and they required external cell management to balance the voltage across the cells, otherwise you could end up with a cell or two copping a lot of charge and subsequently failing. Most modern batteries will have some sort of cell balancing circuitry inbuilt and some go further and have over-current protection and under current protection (LI cells will cack themselves if they are allowed to run flat). I have an Earth-X in my Ducati and it was about two thirds the size and a quarter (?) the weight of the standard lead acid. LI batteries will hold charge for months and months if left disconnected. I left mine in my Ducati hooked up and it lasted for about three months before parasitic drain ran it down enough for the under-voltage protection to kick in and isolate the cells. The battery brand I have needs something like 12 volts to reset the isolation, which you can either do with another battery or with a charger which can bypass "smart" mode. I had neither (had a normal C-Tek smart charger) so got a C-Tek lithium battery charger (another expense if you're thinking about a LI battery). Some LI batteries have a push button to reset the protection circuitry.

I have a new lead acid for my Ninja in the cupboard awaiting its rebirth. It was about a quarter of the price of the Earth-X in my Ducati. I'm on the fence with the lead acid versus LI thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:57 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

I had a long(ish) series of posts about lithium somewhere on the forum about 5yrs ago with details on the subject
if anybody's interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:31 pm 
Privateer
Privateer

https://www.superbike.co.uk/article/shi ... ery-review

The weight saving made me buy one for my enduro bike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 am 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Hey there,

My battery is not YUASA (don't think so, anyway)… specs as per below;

12v
260 CCA
10 AH

Can take a photo if you want.

As for the whole Lithium or not to Lithium, I never really looked very deep into this issue, but from what I found, these are a bit fiddly especially in regards to charging. What I mean, is that I normally use a trickle charger to get my battery a bit more juicy, at times when I leave the bike parked for a while. Lithium batteries (from what I know) don't use the same type of trickle charger and they need specific charging equipment... I suppose if you use your bike very regularly or even every day, you should be fine, but if you don't ride that often and want to be able to charge it without any dramas, than you need to look into the charging issue carefully.

ZX9R C2
Triumph Street Triple R (2011)

Arrow || K&N || HEL || NGK || STOMPGRIP || SBS || RACETECH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

With Li batteries, the manufacturers often/usually write something about that you can use it instead of a normal battery..
..BUTTTT..

..only if your alternator doesnt charge it more than it should (like above 14.6V), so be sure to check before blablabla..

And iirc, most alternators put out more than that.
I've got 14.7V (more like 14.8-9 in rel life) somehow as a standard, manual-like, number in my mind somehow.

So if anything happens - guess what?
Yes, it's your fault!
Your alternator, among millions of others, doesn't work properly. Yes.

I wrote a "little" about how you can mitigate that, but that's not with the el cheapo cells and not sth. you can just buy.