Brake Callipers advice please

ALL questions, technical and otherwise answered for Other Models and Marques .

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

Davebryant11
Just arrived

Brake Callipers advice please

Post by Davebryant11 »

Hey! New to the forum I’ve got a 1998 R reg ZX6R I need some advice on what to do with front callipers as I either need mine refurbished or upgrade to Nissin (not sure of spelling) callipers. What do you all suggest? Thanks
Attachments
B0A01846-C771-49DA-A573-FA8A2834CD1F.jpeg
obsidian
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Re: Brake Callipers advice please

Post by obsidian »

Upgrade to Nissin calipers, most def.
Consider it a prudent long-term investment which starts paying off immideately.
2002 9R / 1992 ZXR750
e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1.5*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

I don't know if the conversion is the same for the ZX-6R, but if there was a conversion to Nissin calipers, that would appear to be an excellent choice. But I'd check on a ZX-6R forum for what the proven conversions are, since rotor alignment and a bunch of other factors play into a direct fit.
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.
Davebryant11
Just arrived

Post by Davebryant11 »

e1_ZX-9r wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 15:34 I don't know if the conversion is the same for the ZX-6R, but if there was a conversion to Nissin calipers, that would appear to be an excellent choice. But I'd check on a ZX-6R forum for what the proven conversions are, since rotor alignment and a bunch of other factors play into a direct fit.
So I need to see if there are any differences between the zx6-9 to make sure the conversion will work,do you know what nissin callipers work on the zx9 so I know what to look out for?many thanks
e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1.5*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

For the 9 models, Steve-TC1 made stickies in each model's sub-forum. Your gen 6R would be in the C model ZX-9R forum Bearing info / specs for C1-C2 Model ZX9r. Caliper conversions are about 1/4 the way down the post. ;)

Although, Steve's posts are dated. Each one should include the aftermath, what to do with the old calipers.
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.
Davebryant11
Just arrived

Post by Davebryant11 »

e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Dunno. As we have to do, measure the mounting bolt spacing, centered. Ours are typically 90 mm. Other bikes use 84 mm which doesn't work for us. So what we recommend, is contact the seller and ask them their caliper mounting bolt spacing. If it matches, chances are there's a way to make the caliper work.

But those are hella expensive!! :shock: Are you rich and don't need the money?

Used Nissins with SS lines are usually in the £40 - 60, not £179.
obsidian
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by obsidian »

98 6r should have the same front wheel as e/f models - that's half the battle.
I would expect the tokicos are the same ones, without any special offset or some such.
if the above checks out, what's left is verifying the bolt spacing.
- asking the seller to measure it beforehand wouldn't be the worst idea.
e1_ZX-9r wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:01
But those are hella expensive!! :shock: Are you rich and don't need the money?

Used Nissins with SS lines are usually in the £40 - 60, not £179.
No problem - he can now find some cheap ones, and send the difference our way. :idea: O:)
2002 9R / 1992 ZXR750