vfr400 clutch/gears/starting issues!!

ALL questions, technical and otherwise answered for Other Models and Marques .

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

kirkles250
Privateer
Privateer

vfr400 clutch/gears/starting issues!!

Post by kirkles250 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:00 pm

ok i've got 2 bikes my lovely zx9r c2 which is perfect and lovely then i git another bike the vfr400 whch im trying to get up n working for a friend just had the tank treated for rust so thats now in good working order but the other day when i thought better check its all working a came into some unexpected issues fyi it was working fine over a year ago or so hoping its just everything is abit sticky but thought i troubleshoot here for some some advice and maybe get me in the right direction of things here is my road of troubles so far

:its a vfr400 nc24 1988/87
:replaced starter relay as that was completly dead but now starter relay just buzzes no sarter motor action
:took off starter motor cleaned it all seems good tested it out of the bike it works fine
:put it back in the bike wont turn the engine atall the relay just buzzes and rev meter goes up lol :?
:ok so thought maybe the engine needs a little bump start to get things going so put it in second push it then realised it wasnt even going in gear tried all gears asif the clutch was stuck on and not disengaging but the starter relay wont fire up withouth the leaver pulled in and the leaver does feel like its pulling on the clucth and spring back on when clutch re engaged
:so took off clutch cover plate seems to move abit pressed starter with clucth pulled in as it wont signal wether its in neutral now either :evil: the starter motor trying to move seems like it cant turn the starter gear :
:so i cranked the engine over with a socket back and forward a few turns only but all moved fine but still the motor wouldnt turn the engine atall its a new battery motobatt dry cell showed 11.9v on the meter maybe a little charge is needed?
:but this all cant get into any gears is really annoying im thicking of totally dissambling the clucth assembly and then reassemble to see if this works ANY ADVICE AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME as im hoping its not the gears as i said i can go through them all up n down i can feel where the neautral is but light isnt showing it so thats why im thinking sticking clucth somewhere as it has stood still for a while i did have it running over a year ago though
bikes are like women treat em nice they reward you with good fast hard fun, treat em shit and they will leave you in the middle of nowhere

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Deffinatley needs a charge , try bridging the starter selonoiid whilst Erving it a bit to see if it comes to life

Tie your clutch lever in over night

kirkles250
Privateer
Privateer

Post by kirkles250 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:01 pm

Steve-TC1 wrote:Deffinatley needs a charge , try bridging the starter selonoiid whilst Erving it a bit to see if it comes to life

Tie your clutch lever in over night
cheers for reply problems solved now thanks to step dad pointing out that i may have too the sprocket cover off which has 2 of the 3 adjusters for the clutch and the one built into the cover which pushes on the rod was done up too much so when i tightened up the cover it already was pushing on the rod what a school by era =D>

but yeah you were very right on the battery low a slow charge of an hr or so gave it the edge it needed to turn the motor so thats good next stage new oil and filter then mot time !! :D :D
bikes are like women treat em nice they reward you with good fast hard fun, treat em shit and they will leave you in the middle of nowhere