ER6F

ALL questions, technical and otherwise answered for Other Models and Marques .

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Re: ER6F

Post by yorkie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:08 pm

I'm glad I din't have money on it being the relay box, cos I would of. :shock:

Still every test gets us somewhere. With the relay box and the ECU disconnected does the neutral light still flash?

If so, then it is probably time to find out what alarm you have fitted or remove it.
Just got yourself a ZX-9R, then do yourself and your bike a favour, read this thread the sticky post in General Technical viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28097

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as a year may not be accurate.

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

New relay was a bit suspect it, new one makes not difference, yes when both the relay and ecu are disconnected the neutral light still flashes and the clocks flicker.
Alarm will be taken to get it ripped out this weekend, f@@k it, I've had enough
"Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska"

The fastest colour ZX9R E2 2001 Y plate :)
Green 2014 ZX10R

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I don't know what the clocks look like on your bike, and can't find a picture of them.
So I was wondering is it the Neutral light thats flashing, or could it be the low fuel warning light, or fault indication FI light?
Just got yourself a ZX-9R, then do yourself and your bike a favour, read this thread the sticky post in General Technical viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28097

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as a year may not be accurate.

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:44 am

It's definitely the neutral light that is flashing, my son did say when it died on the motorway that the FI light was flashing and the bike was running erratically, until it died completely, it was then that the only thing that showed on the clocks was the flashing neutral light. There are no display with the liquid crystal display and the speedo just flickers.

Green 2014 ZX10R

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am

Quick question what year is it?

Do you have a picture of the clocks just so I have a visual aid? There are loads on google images but I don't know which are yours.

Have you checked the big Black battery earth lead to the engine? and then, only guessing here, a Black/yellow earth wire to the frame somewhere, on the zx9's its hidden under the fuel pump mounting, but yours could be anywhere.

Also check the starter relay main fuse, and all the connections and wires plugged into it.

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

So an update on this one.

Garage looked at the bike, removed the alarm and putback together, went for a start and it was lumpy as hell, further investigation found out it was one of the stick coils has fractured and preventing a spark.

So: Alarm stopped the bike and cut all power to the clocks.
Stick coil sorted and bike runs sweet as a nut
Neutral light on the clocks still flashes when the bike is switched off, garage have trashed a slight electrical supply to the clocks, but nothing wrong with the side stand or neutral switches. that will take a little longer. At least my son is back on the road.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Green 2014 ZX10R

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Well thanks for the feed back, strange that flashing neutral light. :?

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 pm

I thought the flashing light was as a result of the alarm failing, but totally stumped me, the Kwacker dealers reckon a diode may have gone in the clocks and to look at replacing them, doesn't effect the running of the bike and only does it switched off. just told him to shut his eyes when he switches the bike off :D :D :D

Thanks again Yorkie

Green 2014 ZX10R

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

On my zx12r B4 the Fi light flashes when I switch the ignition to OFF, this flashes for 24 hours and then stops to save the battery. Its to show that the Kawasaki ignition immobiliser is active.

I wonder if yours has something similar ???

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Well the good news on this bike continues, this time my son has reached just shy of the 20K mark and whilst riding the bike stopped, a sort of crunching sound( as he put it) smoke from the exhaust and then nothing. Clear signs of an engine seize.

It gets home from Portsmouth in the back of a van, finally get round to looking at it tis weekend. Stripped down of all the cosmetic malarkey and out with the park plugs to check the engine hasn't seized and oil change to make sure there are no sparkly bits to suggest a bottom end failure. Oil is positive and still clean from the oil change 1500 miles before. Spark plugs not to lucky, one comes out the other snaps off in the head :angry:

Engine did turn a little however then stopped so I thing it maybe recoverable with a head change. I am aware that some of these bikes have dropped a valve in their time but it is now in the garage ( not Kawasaki due to £75 an hour charge) so we wait and see what the outcome is.

Never had a spark plug snap before and not when they are literally only 2 months old and the Iridium type.

Green 2014 ZX10R

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Fairly sure a 6mm allen driver just fits down the threaded part of whats left of the plug threads, and it will spin straight out.

terryc
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by terryc » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Well looks like it was a Friday bike
The engine has dropped a valve and smashed the piston. So looks like a new engine is required, £900 for a used one on fleabay. Bloody expensive year on that bike so far this year. :\ :\ :\ :\

Green 2014 ZX10R