https://youtu.be/4V9gUuwNRVc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

Another video uploaded! Rearsets today!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

A little update, I haven’t done so much on the bike for a while. I’ve bought new indicators and the tears were crap. Only fitted the tears for now.
I have bought another loom, with all the relays and cdi etc on for just a tenner! Looks mint too!

Which valve shins are best to buy? Someone has told me before, but I’ve forgotten.
I’m still undecided on which exhaust I want.
Will need to get a set of carb rebuild kits, any opinions on which?
After I get them cleaned through.

I have put an Avon storm xm on the rear, really good in my opinion!

At the moment, the bike has that horrible flooding happening unless I turn the tap off, misfires sometimes. I thought it was coils, as 1 and 4 were split. Put new ones in, blocked the air box holes up and doesn’t change much. After new coils.

Emulsion tubes? Worn or maybe the oring? I’d like to get more power! Get an ignition advancer? Unless it has one already... what does stock look like?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm 
Admin

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
Talltom87 wrote:

:lol:
I never knew the mismatch of Nissin and Tokico. No wonder the Nissin front calipers work so well with the Nissin master cylinder.
:smt023

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Hey man.

As for shims, I just go for the cheapest on fleabay that fit the bill - worked out for me so far.
In terms of carb kits, I dunno why, but some time ago I got a real cheap set for the F out of taiwan (I think),
haven't put them in yet (had to buy em for the price, even though not needing them right away), but the look
and feel of them was legit.

Best bang for the $ for tyres (imo) would be the sportforce+ from mitas, if you can get a set. Can't beat the price (like 1/3rd to half less for the set)
and since their predecessor which had positive reviews, there haven't been ANY reviews of the current tyre so far in the last
three or four years. I can almost smell a conspiracy.. :-k
(I posted a pic of em in the Action section)

Now the more serious stuff..
After seeing your "repair" of the rearsets, you really should reconsider your attitude towards safe operation/safety in general.
That is/was swiss cheese, mate..

If I absolutely had to fix those rearsets for whatever reason, as opposed to replacing them,
I'd tig weld em, making them (if anything) stronger at the broken places. And that would be the minimum in terms of acceptable strength and safety.

I know there are fans of stainless steel - bolts especially - but you don't put any of it on any safety-relevant components.
You just don't. And may there be thousands of ppl. doin it.
-Esp when they do it with stuff with properties like these:
Code:
https://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless-steel-front-brake-caliper-mount-bolt-set-mssfbmon190.html

Holding the fairing and mirrors would be as far as I would go.
Tensile strength isn't everything.
Go with titanium, if you're extra-fancy.
Aside from that, just go with regular 8.8 or higher bolts.

@e1:
the mismatch goes all the way back, I think evenbefore the ol' '89 zxr.
(those old TOK 4-pots work great though and are relatively low-maintenance)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 am 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Titanium fixings are more susceptible to shear forces than metal alloys,I think there was a recent amendment for UK track bikes,Titanium wheel axles are now banned....or about to be banned
Stainless fixings definitely shear easier than metal alloys and are not to be used on calliper mounts.
Always use copper slip when putting stainless fixings into aluminium or mag alloy.

You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 am 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

I totally get it why they banned Ti axles, considering the stress they're under.
And the way they make them, they can be *really* hollow.
(but then again, there are people putting custom made stainless axles in :doubt: )

I generally wouldn't wanna put Ti bolts anywhere where it would be a pain getting them out if they ever snapped off,
primarily during tightening/loosening.
So it's more of a "if you must" sort of thing than an imperative to put them on.
Still, I'll take Titanium components over stainless any day, if I had to choose between the two.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:32 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

Brilliant, thanks for the tips! I’ll get them sorted as soon as!

Can you remember the site for the carb sets? I’m just going to replace everything, may as well.

I think I might budget myself for a set of proper rearsets, these have been great so far and feel really comfy. The brand I went with, I have t seen any bad reviews so that’s why I went for them. I did mention about not wanting to use the bolts supplied, but I am still yet to purchase good ones. So, that will be on the list if I decide to keep the sets!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:33 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

e1_ZX-9r wrote:
Talltom87 wrote:

:lol:
I never knew the mismatch of Nissin and Tokico. No wonder the Nissin front calipers work so well with the Nissin master cylinder.
:smt023

I was a bit shocked to see that, I’m going to rebuild the master cylinders and rear brakes. Then new pads and probably nissins at the front! Can’t remember which callipers fit, 90mm holes I believe?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:13 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

I bought the kit from this seller
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=z ... damineding
but I don't know if he's got any for the E model rn.

As for the rearsets, I don't really hate on those (or other chinese components).
Rarely anyway.
If they fit you and the bike, you might just as well keep em,
unless there is some law, rule or other thing preventing you from doing that.

Not sure in your case, but you might be able to use the original (main) bolts for them - the ones with a shoulder/cylindrical
portion, about 4-5mm long/high.
Not 100% sure but those might be the same as the ones on the brake rotors (those might be longer, tho).
.. or ir could've been bolts for rotors for a YAM something-something -- I bought some years ago and they fit just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

So, went to change the loom today. All fairings off, tank and carbs. Realised I had left the kleen air pipe off to the carbs. So, probably why it ran terrible. I’ve removed the kleen air stuff and blocked up what I needed to, works much better!! The loom was from an F, I think? Plug missing at the front to the right switch gear. But, it come with computer, fuse box, ref rev and relays. So, tenner still well spent! Although, the fuse box is slightly different! Works, but sometimes after switching engine off, the Rev counter sticks. Ignition on and off and it’s fine.

I also broke my NS callipers!! :( changed my front pads and decided to bleed brakes again. Bloody broke the bleed nipple hole and it’s totalled! Gutted! I was planning on getting nissins in January, so will push that forward now! Currently running with one brake line and calliper! Brakes are much better though! Weird? Probably already cracked slightly, letting air into the system? Dunno.

It’s still safe, I’ve tested it many times today. I just won’t go too fast until new callipers are bought, rebuilt and new pads. Take it easy folks!! Haha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

You can get M6,8 .10 's bleed nipples in std metric and fine thread if you want to drill and tap replacement bleed nipples.
I had the same rearsets on my 7r...I seem to recall I tapped an M8 thread into the foot peg so I could use a longer Ti bolt..replced all fixing with Ti.
Used a fluid actuation switch for the brake lght to get rid of the fugly spring set up.
I don't recall ever seeing Tok' master cylinders on any ZX's...I don't recall ever seeing a Tok master cyl come to think of it ????

I just bought some Harris rear set's for my 9r B :D

You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

*cough*
Quote:
After seeing your "repair" of the rearsets, you really should reconsider your attitude towards safe operation/safety in general.

*cough*
Damn, so chilly today..

Tango:
ever seen any 4-pot MCs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

No such thing as a 4 pot mc
Topic was mixing Nissin/Toks 4&6 with Nissin mc's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 pm 
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

I doubt I will be able to fix these callipers, they’re totalled. The bit where the bleed nipple screws in has snapped off. As though it had been pushed up by over tightening. But, I undid the bleed nipple. That’s why I believe it was already cracked and allowing air in slightly, making them shit. Never mind. I’ll have a solution shortly! Watch this space.